West Yorkshire Fire Authority approved the publication of ‘Your Fire and Service 2020-2023‘. This document is West Yorkshire Fire Service’s integrated risk management plan and details how, as a fire and rescue service we will make West Yorkshire Safer.
To achieve the priorities which were set out in our Integrated Risk Management Plan, we are proposing changes to the way your service is delivered, as part of the programme of change for 2020-2021. These proposals have an effect on the service we provide so we would like your opinions.
Your, opinions and feedback will help shape the service that we provide.
We are funded by the taxpayer so it’s important that we are delivering the services which matter to you the most & that you have a say in shaping our future.
What are we consulting on?
The proposal for public consultation is
- Relocate the fire station currently based on Hightown Road, Cleckheaton to West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service, (WYFRS) Headquarters, Birkenshaw.
This 8 week consultation will run from the 25th June until the 21st August 2020.
The outcomes of this consultation will be presented to the Fire Authority on the 18th September 2020.
Please read through the proposal details on the next tab and give your feedback via the form.
Relocate the fire station currently based on Hightown Road, Cleckheaton to West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service, (WYFRS) Headquarters, Birkenshaw.
You can access the full consultation leaflet here: Leaflet
The fire station based at Hightown Road, Cleckheaton is one of the oldest fire stations in West Yorkshire and has become expensive to maintain. A full rebuild of the station is required.
WYFRS and the communities which it serves have changed and evolved since the station was originally built. Relocating the fire station would see an improved response in areas of high and very high risk, whilst also still ensuring that all areas currently served will still receive a fire engine within our agreed response times.
• This proposal will have no impact on staffing numbers or the number of fire engines.
• Relocating the fire station would lead to an improved response to some high and very high-risk areas.
• A new fire station can be built as part of the existing WYFRS Headquarters site in Birkenshaw for a lower cost than building on the current site.
• Relocating the fire station will place it closer to higher risk areas and some of the more vulnerable individuals in our community.
• Areas covered by the existing station will continue to receive a fire engine within our agreed risk based response times. This change is consistent with the service and fire cover provided across West Yorkshire.
• A fire station based at the Birkenshaw headquarters site would improve response times into some of our high and very-high risk areas.
• Firefighters based at Cleckheaton Fire Station already train and use the facilities and equipment at the WYFRS headquarters site. Basing them at headquarters would reduce travelling, giving more time for other work and training and plus reducing the impact on the local environment.
• There will be improved conditions for those working at the new fire station due to the facilities at HQ.
• Rebuilding the existing fire station on its current site would cost approximately £2.9m.
• Building a new fire station in the grounds of the WYFRS Headquarters would cost approximately£1.3m.
• Building at WYFRS Headquarters combined with the sale of the Cleckheaton site would save
£1.975m over the cost of rebuilding on the current site.
Your opinions and feedback will help shape the service that we provide.
Please read through the proposal details on tabs to the left and give your feedback via the survey here or below.
Create your own user feedback survey