Advice issued after child accidentally starts fire at Bradford home

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service are urging parents to keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children after a young child accidentally started a fire in the upstairs bedroom of a Bradford home.

Crews were called at 8:57pm last night (31/07/2018) to the house fire in Cutler Heights, Bradford.

The family of seven who lived in the property were all awake when one of the children accidentally set fire to the bedroom whilst playing with a lighter they had found.

The mother and neighbours were alerted to the danger on hearing the smoke alarms sounding.

A neighbour saw smoke pouring out the roof and dialled 999. Crews from Stanningley, Shipley and Fairweather Green rushed to the scene.

One woman and six children were all out of the house on the arrival of fire crews. However, whilst crews were en route to the incident a call came in to Control stating one of the children had been brought out of the property unresponsive.

Control operators gave advice over the phone to the caller at the scene on how to help the child to breathe until crews arrived.

On arrival, firefighters took over and performed first aid on the child for around 15 minutes before the youngster was revived. Two of the children were taken to hospital.

The resuscitated child is now in a stable condition.

Crews tackled the fire which was largely confined to the main bedroom of the house. Four breathing apparatus wearers used two hose reels to extinguish the fire before fully searching the house.  The first floor of the property was around 20% damaged.

Area Manager Nick Smith said:” We know that fire can be fascinating for children; this is why it is important to keep any matches, lighters, and other fire-starting tools out of sight and to educate them of the dangers.

“The school summer holidays have just started and kids will be looking to entertain themselves at home and we know parents don’t have eyes in the back of their heads; however, this might be a time to check how safe your home is and to remove any obvious dangers. We want everyone to have a safe summer and avoid any accidents.

“I would like to offer my best wishes to the child and the family; they had a lucky escape from what could’ve been a serious fire. Thankfully the home had a working smoke alarm and if it wasn’t for the quick actions of the family and neighbours the outcome could have been much worse.”


Please follow our advice on how to keep your home and your children safe:

  • Keep matches and lighters where children cannot see or reach them
  • Put child locks on cupboards containing anything that could be used to start a fire (for example matches, candles, flammable liquids and so on)
  • Don’t let children play or leave toys near a fire or heater
  • Put a childproof fireguard in front of an open fire or heater
  • Keep your escape route clear of toys and other obstructions
  • Place candles and tea lights where children cannot reach them
  • Don’t leave children on their own in a room where there’s a fire risk
  • Put plug guards into sockets so children can’t stick anything into the holes
  • Keep portable heaters in a safe place where they can’t be knocked over when they are being used or stored
  • Never leave children alone in the kitchen when you’re cooking and never let them play near the oven and hob