An opportunity has arisen for Firefighters to work at Garforth, Morley, Rawdon & Wetherby Fire Stations on the Day Crewing (DC) duty system within West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS).
We are responsible for the county’s fire and rescue service, which serves a population of more than two million people spread over almost 800 square miles. Fire cover is provided 24-hours a day, every day of the year.
We are an organisation where everyone is encouraged, trusted and supported to play their part in promoting safety and wellbeing across all communities in West Yorkshire. We are looking for candidates who are committed to our vision of making West Yorkshire safer and who demonstrate the values of team, responsibility, integrity, dialogue and learn.
The DC duty system is where DC staff members work a combination of positive and standby hours over a 24 hour period. Positive hours are worked on the fire station or appliance and standby hours are worked ‘on call’ from a residence within a 5 minute ‘turn in’ area of the station.
Therefore, staff members working the DC duty system are required to reside within a 5 minute turn in area of the station in either permanent or rented accommodation for which an additional allowance is payable to the staff member.
Applications are welcome from existing competent Wholetime Firefighters from UK Fire and Rescue Services. In addition to this, competent Retained Duty System (RDS) FF’s who are currently employed by WYFRS are eligible to apply.
- Have band ‘A’ or ‘B’ in the latest PDR process (Internal only)
- Be a competent Firefighter (or above) in a UK Fire and Rescue Service
- Not have any current discipline awards and remain free of disciplinary awards throughout the process
- Have no current/outstanding development action plans, performance improvement action plans or capability issues related to competency
- Demonstrate a positive and professional attitude to work, good communication and problem solving skills
The selection process will comprise of 4 stages:
- Stage 1 - Identify potential via the PDR process (‘A’ or ‘B’ score) Internal only
- Stage 2 - Completion of an online application form and subsequent shortlisting
- Stage 3 - Online Behavioural and Aptitude tests (where applicable)
- Stage 4 - Presentation and Interview
- Stage 5 - Pre employment checks
Applicants must complete and submit an online application form using the e-recruitment system which will require them to detail how they meet all the essential criteria for the role. To apply, please visit www.wyfs.co.uk/careers.
· Applications open:
7th June 2019
· Applications close:
30th June 2019
Week Commencing 1st July 2019
· Online Behavioural and Aptitude tests
· Presentation and Interviews:
Week Commencing 8th July 2019
Week Commencing 22nd July 2019
Please Note: Successful applicants will be contracted to the Day Crewing Duty System only on a permanent basis, and will only be able to transfer away from the DC duty system on promotion, exceptional circumstances or at the exigency of the service.
For an informal discussion about these and other DC roles, please contact SM Steve Holt at email@example.com or GM Graham Ambler at Graham.Ambler@westyorksfire.gov.uk
WYFRS is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community that are currently under-represented at WYFRS, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.
All offers of employment will be subject to a skills gap analysis, references, medical, fitness test, Disclosure and pre-employment checks.
DC FF staff members receive the following remuneration package:
- Basic FF salary
- 5% of salary for the ‘on call’ element
- Turnout and disturbance fees during standby hours
- Compensatory grant of approximately £1000 paid per annum
- Relocation package if you are moving in to the area
- Rent, fuel and light allowance as per the DC policy
In addition to the above all WYFRS employees have access to an employee assistance programme, training and development, sports and social clubs with free use of gym.
Please click here for Job Description/Personal Specification
Please click here for Day Crewing Information
Please click here for Guidance Notes
All correspondence will usually be sent to your email account registered with the online recruitment system rather than by letter. Please check your email account regularly.
If after reading all of this information, you are interested in applying, please read the documents listed above for more details and click on 'Apply' for the application form.
Please note we do not accept CVs. If you are viewing this vacancy on ‘jobsindeed’ or other external platform, the only way to apply for this vacancy is to visit www.wyfs.co.uk/careers/vacancies and the complete application form via our online Access vacancy system.