Welcome to West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS), where our commitment to our staff and our vision for excellence sets us apart. I'm John Roberts, the Chief Fire Officer, and I'm delighted to personally welcome you to our organisation's career page.
At WYFRS, we're a family that prioritises the well-being and growth of our team members. Our dedication to our staff is rooted in our unwavering commitment to innovation, safety, and the desire to be the best.
As someone who has balanced a busy career with a bustling family life, I understand the importance of work-life balance. I have three children, national responsibilities with the NFCC, and the privilege of leading a fantastic team here. I can personally attest to the family-like atmosphere we foster within West Yorkshire.
We believe in investing in our staff, providing comprehensive training, and giving our team members the flexibility, they need to thrive in their careers and personal lives. We understand that your life outside work is just as important as your career, and we're here to support you in both.
So, whether you're a Liverpool football fan like me or share my passion for live music, West Yorkshire is a place where you can find your second family. We're committed to your career development and well-being. We’re always looking for ways to improve your experience here.
Join us at West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service and become a part of our family. Your journey starts here, and I look forward to welcoming you aboard as we work together to achieve excellence and create a safer future for our team and community.
Why work for WYFRS?
Achieve work-life fulfilment at West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service:
- Receive excellent annual leave entitlements, with additional annual leave for long service - starting from 23 days, plus 8 public bank holidays, rising to an additional 4 or 5 days after 5 years of service, depending on your salary grade.
- We are family friendly with most of our roles being flexible working.
- Hybrid working arrangements (role dependant).
- We offer excellent welfare and support arrangements for all our employees e.g. access to counselling services, physiotherapy, and other services.
- Enjoy free access to on-site gyms, and various sports clubs/societies.
- Benefit from enhanced maternity pay. (6 weeks at 90% of your salary plus an additional 33 weeks at 50% of your salary, plus statutory maternity pay. Terms and conditions apply.)
- Shared Parental Leave and Pay. (4 weeks at 90% of your salary plus an additional 33 weeks at 50% of your salary, plus statutory shared parental pay. Terms and conditions apply.)
- Our new HQ building which we are due to move into in 2024.
- Unconditional support from managers and colleagues.
- Working alongside colleagues who have shared values and objectives, who are passionate about the work they do to support communities.
- Contributing to sustainability in the workplace in line with our Environmental Sustainability Strategy.
- Being a part of our customer-focused service to the community.
- Opportunities to get involved in local community events like Leeds Pride, Emergency Services annual show, and other charity-related work.
- Staff networks.
- Engaging with the community across the county, from music festivals to small shops.
We are a supportive organisation that values training and development. We support our employees and encourage progression within their chosen career paths.
Full training is provided at each step during which you will gain nationally recognised qualifications in fire safety.
We have competitive salaries in comparison to other public sector organisations, as well as some private sector organisations. We are constantly reviewing our pay grades to ensure that they remain competitive.
Benefit from our local government pension scheme. Employee contribution rates from 5.5%, rising up to 12.5%. Employer contribution rate from 2.75%, rising up to 6.25%. (Terms and Conditions apply.)
Emergency Services Discount
Benefit from access to a Blue Light Card which gives access to 15,000 discounts from large national retailers to local businesses across categories such as holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones, and many more.
Other fantastic reward benefits include:
- Long service awards
- Cycle to work scheme
- Salary sacrifice
- Sports and social society - with access to gyms across the service for just £1.40 per month
- Free car parking
Response (Operational Firefighters)
Our firefighters have one of the most respected jobs within the community: responding to incidents, preventing them from happening and protecting people and property in West Yorkshire. Find out more about what they do, promotion opportunities and technical areas they specialise in.