Why is speed so important?
When it comes to road safety, speed matters. In a crash, 1mph can mean the difference between life and death, but we know that people still regularly break speed limits or travel too fast for the conditions of the road. The formula is simple: the higher the speed, the longer the stopping distance, the harder the crash and the greater the risk of death and injury.
Speed matters for our health and wellbeing
Slower traffic makes places feel more welcoming for the people who live, work and play in them. Where traffic is slow, more people choose to walk and cycle and more people interact with each other on the street, creating fitter, healthier and happier communities.
- More than 1.3 million people die on roads every year.
- Many road deaths involve a vehicle being driven for work.
- Vehicles used for work cause extensive pollution.
- Show that you’re a responsible employer that puts people first and cares about their safety.
- Everyone can be a leader for safe and healthy journeys and shout out that there is NO NEED TO SPEED.