Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide starves the body of oxygen. Making individuals feel unwell, and therefore is potentially mistaken as cold or flu. High levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal.

  • Dizziness or Nausea 
  • Headaches 
  • Difficulty Breathing 
  • Collapsing of lack of consciousness 

Find out more from the NHS website here.

Useful Contacts

Gas Safety Board - 0800 111 999

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak in your home, this is the number you should call before any others. This phone number is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, ready for emergencies. 

Health and Safety Executive - 0800 300 363 

National regulator for workplace health and safety. Work to ensure people feel safe where they live, where they work and, in their environment

Product Safety Advice - 08454 04 05 06 

Staying safe from Carbon Monoxide at home


  • Do use your extraction fan when cooking. If you don't have, one open window. 
  • Do save the Gas Emergency Service Number on your phone: 0800 111 999.
  • Do register your appliance for the latest product safety updates.
  • Look out for crisp blue flame rather than a floppy yellow flame on gas appliances. 


  • Don't use a large cooking pan or pot to cook over multiple rings on your gas hob of stove. 
  • Don't block flues or ventilation bricks and passages, these help to maintain good are quality. 
  • Don't ever put a generator or any other diesel or petrol burning appliance inside a building, or positioned where fumes can blow inside. The build-up of carbon monoxide from these can kill in minutes.
  • Don't ignore it if a neighbour or friend tells you they feel unwell at home but better outside, make sure they know about carbon monoxide so they can act.